[no subject]

linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I originally sent this to Neil Brown who suggested I sent it to you.

Any help would be appreciated.

Has anyone put an effort into building a raid 1 based on USB connected
drives under Redhat 3/4 not as the root/boot
drive. A year ago I don't think this made any sense but with the
price of drives being far less that then the equivalent tape media
and the simple USB to IDE smart cable I am evaluating an expandable
USB disk farm for two uses. A reasonable robust place to store
data until I can select what I want to put on tape. The second
is secondary storage for all of the family video tapes that I am
capturing in preparation for editing to DVD. The system does not
have to be fast just large, robust, expandable and cheep.

I currently run a Redhat sandbox with a hardware raid 5 and 4 120G
SATA drives. I have added USB drives and have them mount with
the LABEL=/PNAME option in fstab. In this manner they end up
in the right place after reboot. I do not know enough about
the Linux drive interface to know if USB attached devices will
get properly mounted into the raid at reboot and after changes
or additions of drives to the USB.

I am a retired Bell Labs Research supervisor. I was in Murray Hill
when UNIX was born and still use Intel based UNIX in the current
form of SCO Unixware both professionally and personally. Unixware
is no longer a viable product since I see no future in it and
Oracle is not supported. I know way to much about how the guts
of Unixware works thanks to a friend who was one of SCO's kernel
and storage designers. I know way to little how Linux works to
get a USB based raid up without a lot of research and tinkering.
I don't mind research and tinkering but I don't like reinventing
the wheel.

I have read The Software-RAID HOWTO by Jakob 0stergaard and
Emilio Bueso and downloaded mdadm. I have not tried it yet.

The system I have in mind uses a Intel server motherboard,
hardware raid 1 SATA root/boot/swap drive, SCSI tape drive
and a 4 port USB card. In a 2U chasses. A second 2U chassis
will contain a supply, up to 14 drives and lots of fans.
I have everything except the drives. The sole use of this system
will be a disk farm with a NFS and Samba server. It will run
under Redhat 3 or 4. I am leaning toward Redhat 4 since I
understand SCSI tape support is more stable under 4. Any
comment in this area would also be appreciated.

Can you point me in the direction of newer articles that cover
Linux raid using USB connected drives or do you have any
suggestions on the configuration of a system. My main concern
is how to get USB drives correctly put back in the raid after
boot and/or a USB change since I do not know how they are assigned
to /dev/sdxy in the first place and how USB hubs interact with
the assignments. I realize I should have other concerns and
just don't know enough. Ignorance is bliss, up to an init 6.

Thank You for your time.

Bill Hess

bhess@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-