Re: [linux-lvm] Re: more info on the hang with 2.6.15-rc5

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:

Matthew Gillen <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
Still broken in 2.6.15.  With all the debugging options OFF in the config,
the system stayed up < 24 hours under load, then a hard lockup like
before: nothing on the console, magic sysrq doesnt work, no caps-lock,
no ping.  Note that this is different from before: it actually ran a
little bit before locking up, rather than locking up within seconds like
it did with 2.6.15-rc5.

I couldn't quite tell from your description: are you getting the lockup
when you try to mount a filesystem that uses the RAID+LVM as a device?
Or do you get errors when doing LVM-level stuff (ie no filesystem can
even be put on the device)?
In the case of the former, what filesystem are you using?

No errors ever, just hard lockups.

Just wanted to add that I recently starting to see similar behaviour (hard lockups with no errors during heavy writing to the filesystem) on raid5+lvm+reiserfs after adding 6 sata_sil-connected disks in raid5 to an already existing vg of a couple of pata raid5s. This is 2.6.14 though, and I haven't ruled out hw issues yet (going to put a beefier PSU in it first), but it might be related.

I'm going to try adding debugging symbols to make it stable after the PSU upgrade, if that doesn't fix it. :)

/Mattias Wadenstein
-