Re: Fwd: Linux MD raid5 and reiser4... Any experience ?

Andre Majorel wrote:
> With LVM, you can create a snapshot of the block device at any
> time, mount the snapshot read-only (looks like another block
> device) and backup that. Ensuring consistency at application level
> is still up to you but at least, if that involves stopping
> services, the unavailability window is greatly reduced.

Hmm.  And 1 out of 10 times it will completely *nuke* your data.
Not just the new snapshot you've just created, mind you, but also the
volume you're snapshotting.

I'm talking from experience.  That's a "stable" version of LVM I'm
talking about, and it was a fresh install from the most recent RedHat
distro too.

A week ago I compiled my own version of kernel/device-mapper tools/lvm
from the newest sources I could find.  It didn't trash my data, but
1/4 times it created an unusable snapshot.

I've personally burn-in tested the hardware and there's absolutely no
problems there.  It's a standard server from HP, naturally not
overclocked or anything like that.

It's apparently a known fact that the code is wildly unstable, so stay
away from it if you happen to like your data :-).
-