Re: big raid5 trouble

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, berk walker wrote:

The "spare" disk would be just that, spare, like a spare tire for a car, pressure is up, ready to go. Each drive contained unique information, which could be reconstructed from the remaining n-1 drives. You now have 1 drive "the spare" with no data, and an n-2 array. You will probably lose data, though the 3rd disk might have had errors in an unused area. You can FORCE the drives back into an array if things aren't too trashed. I can not tell what is the safest way to do this, but someone here may. b-

Yes, but the spare disk is just logically spare, because it was in the array just before everything got wrong. I mean the data is untouched on it. If I force it (with editing the raw disk superblock) to get a normal active disk, should it behave like before the cutoff, shouldn't it? Or does the RAID mechanism erase/change anything else on the disk that makes this process impossible?

--
Czigola Gabor
-