Re: raid1: All my data completely vanished into the void

Daniel Pittman wrote:
Sebastian Kuzminsky <seb@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Mitchell Laks <mlaks@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What does doing

mdadm -Cv -n2 -l1 /dev/md0 /dev/sda /dev/sdb

do to the partition tables??? (And why can I still access the data if I messed up the partitions??? very odd).
Can you point me at an explanation of the effects of what I did?
I'd expect that command to overwrite the partition table with the
MD metadata, or at least put the partition table at risk of being
overwritten later.

Nope: the MD metadata lives at the end of the disk, not the start, so
your partition table would still be there when the filesystem wrote over
the first block of the disk...

....and, if the partition table lived through that, I guess the
filesystem doesn't use (or respects) that block itself.

...but, just so as I understand, by using the whole disk (ie /dev/sda and not /dev/sda1, etc), you're telling md to make the whole disk available to your filesystem (or whatever), including the space normally used to store the partition table, and so any partition table that happens to be on the disk(s) is likely to be over-written.

right?

Max.

-