Re: mdadm 2.2 new option

On Thursday December 15, Robert.Heinzmann@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i just downloaded the mdadm 2.2 version. It seems that there are some
> new options which are not explained in details. of special interest are
> 2 options.
>
> -GROW
> The new grow mode is very very helpfull for us. It would allow us to do
> resize operations with md devices at last - without the need for LVM.
> The manpage states that the GROW mode requires kernel support to work.
> There is no note that states, which kernel supports the options. Also
> with various distributions with patched kernels its not possible to say
> version X.Y.Z. of the kernel contains the required patches.
>
> Is there a way to find out via mdadm, if the current kernel supports the
> GROW mode, prior to performing the GROW ?

No, there isn't.  However if your kernel doesn't support the
operation, it will fail cleanly so there is no risk.

> -bitmap
>
> As far as I understand this bitmap options, in incorperates write intend
> logging.
> Is this based on paper by James Bottomley ? Also is there a way to find
> out via mdadm if the running kernel supports intend logging via
> mdadm ?

Yes, it is comes (indirectly) from James.
No, you cannot query the kernel.

> -There is also an option --write-mostly since 2.0.
>
> I guess this especially usefull for MD devices with large storage arrays
> as backend. They have clever caches and read ahead paramaters, that can
> be non-effective if we change the disk for each read. Does this option
> require a kernel modification too ?

Yes, this also requires a recent kernel - 2.6.14 I think.
It is intended for mirrored situations where one mirror is over a slow
link (e.g. over the Internet). .

> One last question. Besindes the source code and manpage is there oterh
> documentation available on how the md works internally ? (update of
> superblock, handling of device renaming inside the superblock etc.)

No there isn't, though I am seeing more and more requests for this and
am starting to wonder if I should commit some time to writing
something.

NeilBrown
-