Re: mdadm source rpm build error + command-line parsing error + resync reporting problem

On Thursday December 8, mhardy@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Not really on-topic, but has anyone else gotten ext2online to work? I
> get this "Dec  8 21:27:02 istanbul kernel: JBD: ext2online wants too
> many credits (2050 > 2048)" after letting it attempt to extend the FS to
> cover the entire device.

I haven't used ext2online myself, but I believe that there are some
aspects of the filesystem that it is not able to resize, and you have
to have created your filesystem with the understanding that you might
want to grow it later.
 From the mkfs.ext3 man page:

       -E extended-options
                   resize=max-online-resize
                          Reserve  enough  space  so  that  the  block   group
                          descriptor  table  can  grow to support a filesystem
                          that has max-online-resize blocks.

Not a very desirable situation, but just part of the legacy that
ext2/3 brings with it.

So this time when you mkfs your new arrays, plan for growth :-)

NeilBrown
-