Re: RAID5 problem

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 11:07:36AM +1100, James Neale wrote:
> Hi Ross
> I'm a bit of a mdadm newb and have been wrangling with -monitor rather
> unsucccessfully.
> Currently  I'm manually checking /proc/mdstat until I've sorted out
> something better.
> I'm running a single 1TB raid5 on 6 disks (one is spare) which has been
> smooth so far.
> Any pointers or examples for that reliable noisy mailing beeping script
> of yours in /etc/bashrc

The blob is below, just stick it in your bashrc.  My idea was that
everytime I spawn a shell (which is a lot!), mdstat gets checked.

What issues are you having with --monitor?  It should be pretty
automatic if you let it scan.  I just run something like this:

/sbin/mdadm -F -s -f -y

This stats mdadm in --monitor mode, scans for devices, daemonizes, and
records its results in syslog.

Here's what runs in my bashrc:

# Scream and cry a lot if the RAID looks weird!
if /bin/grep _ /proc/mdstat; then
        for ((scream = 0; scream < 5; scream ++)); do
                echo -e "POSSIBLE PROBLEM WITH RAID"
                sleep 0.1
        done
        cat /proc/mdstat