random lockups, raid problems SOLVED (plus a question)

Sure it's a FAQ. It's probably even documented. And, I know it, but it still surprised me. Such is life:

2/3 sticks of perfectly good ECC ram in an old server class p3 board apparently have gone bad. Result? Random lockups/reboots with nothing in the system logs to even lend a clue.

Memtest86 showed one problem immediately, and after some time, exposed some more. Remove the bad memory and it works fine.

Is there some daemon that can more actively monitor memory function? I must have had this problem for months, but with sputtering hard drives that were slowly dying and causing very similar problems, this diagnosis got muddled.

Regards-
Michael Stumpf

-