Journal-guided Resynchronization for Software RAID

I will be presenting a paper at the upcoming USENIX FAST conference
about using the ext3 file system journal to guide the software RAID
resynchronization process.  I was wondering if you had any opinions
as to the viability of this approach in Linux.

Here is a link to the paper:

    http://www.cs.wisc.edu/adsl/Publications/fast05-journal-guided.pdf

and the abstract:

    We investigate the problem of slow, scan-based, software RAID
    resynchronization that restores consistency after a system crash.
    Instead of augmenting the RAID layer to quicken the process, we
    leverage the functionality present in a journaling file system.  We
    analyze Linux ext3 and introduce a new mode of operation, declared
    mode, that guarantees to provide a record of all outstanding writes
    in case of a crash. To utilize this information, we augment the
    software RAID interface with a verify read request, which repairs
    the redundant information for a block. The combination of these
    features allows us to provide fast, journal-guided resynchronization.
    We evaluate the effect of journal-guided resynchronization and find
    that it provides improved software RAID reliability and availability
    after a crash, while suffering little performance loss during normal
    operation.

Thanks,

Tim Denehy

-