Re: Still Need Help on mdadm and udev

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Neil Brown wrote:

>  From 'man mdadm'
>
>        -a, --auto{=no,yes,md,mdp,part,p}{NN}
>               Instruct mdadm to create the device file if needed, possibly allocat-
>               ing an unused minor number.  "md" causes a non-partitionable array to
>               be  used.  "mdp", "part" or "p" causes a partitionable array (2.6 and
>               later) to be used.  "yes" requires the named md device to have a from
>               this.  See DEVICE NAMES below.
>
> Hmmm. there is some text missing there.  It should read:
>
>        -a, --auto{=no,yes,md,mdp,part,p}{NN}
>               Instruct  mdadm  to  create  the device file if needed, possibly
>               allocating an unused minor number.  "md" causes a non-partition-
>               able array to be used.  "mdp", "part" or "p" causes a partition-
>               able array (2.6 and later) to be used.  "yes" requires the named
>               md  device  to  have a 'standard' format, and the type and minor
>               number will be determined from this.  See DEVICE NAMES below.
>
> (typo in the mdadm.8 source file).

Oh good, I though I was going senile... I haven't had a good use for a
partitionable device, although I can think of some unusual applications
for this, such as creating two RAID-6 partitionable arrarys on separate
controllers, then combining a partition from each as RAID-1 for even more
reliability, and doubg RAID-0 over another two to spread head motion for a
very active application.

Yes, I know there are other ways to do that, it was an example...

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
  CTO TMR Associates, Inc

-