Re: Replacement disk is slightly smaller

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 06:27:48PM +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
> You can create partitions in any way you like.  cfdisk is quite good
> at making this ... not trivial, but not hard.
> Create a tiny "1s" partition at the Beginning of the device.  This will be
> sdb1.  Create another tiny partition - sdb2
> Change the Units to 'sectors'.  Create another partition - sdb3 of the
> desired size at the End. - put an 's' at the end of the number to
> indicate sectors
>    218837432s
>
> Then delete sdb2 and create a new sdb2 using all the space.

Thanks Neil, this is pretty much exactly what I wanted.  I had some
difficulties:

- Fedora doesn't seem to have cfdisk in its yum repositories, nor in
  dag's respository, and rpmfind only found 1 RPM that had broken
  dependencies.  I had to download the source from Debian and
  compile that.  Come on Fedora!

- The first time I left sdb1 as 1 sector long cfdisk complained
  about illegal overlapping logical partitions when I tried to load
  it again.  In the end I kept sdb1 and sdb3 the corect matching
  sizes and made sdb2 fill the middle.

Thanks for your help.  Everything is up and running redundantly
again now.