udev and mdadm -- I'm lost

Sorry to pose this question but a  search through "man mdadm" the linux-raid
archives and google didn't really get  me a very satisfactory answer.

I guess I'm accustomed to working on  Linux systems with devfs. But now I had
to upgrade to a distribution with udev.  I didn't notice any issues with
mdadm until today, when I was working on a  server that was going to have two
separate Software RAID-0 arrays (each striping  two 3ware Hardware RAID-5s).

Lo and behold, I got the "/dev/md1 doesn't  exist" error when I tried to
assemble /dev/md1.

I see there is an mdadm  --auto option now, but I don't feel confident I know
how to use it. Can someone  tell me the correct way to create or assemble an
array with the --auto option?

I don't want to do anything fancy. I don't need partitionable RAIDS. Do  I
HAVE to specify a device number?

It would just be nice to have a  couple of concrete examples of the proper
syntax in "man mdadm"

If you  see this, Neil, I think you do a fantastic job. I'm sorry to ask this
basic  question, but just one example in the manual would be welcome. I am
using mdadm  1.9.0 and don't see one.

i.e,

mdadm -Av -a1 --uuid=xxxxx  /dev/sd*
or
mdadm -Av -a /dev/md1 --uuid=xxxxx /dev/sd*

I'm not in  the mood to guess...

Thanks.

Andy Liebman

-