Re: RAID 5 array keeps dropping drive on boot

So I read your original email again and see:

I just tried rebooting during a synchronization (had to move the
computer), and the state of /dev/hdc3 is now:

...but it's not synching.

I wouldn't expect it to be syncing.  You rebooted during a recovery
(onto a spare).  This is quite different from a resync (after a crash,
or on a newly created array).
If you reboot during a recovery, you have to start the recovery again
at the start.

Okay, I wasn't sure about that part though - but isn't it supposed to show up as a spare at least?

Anyway...

Have you actually had the array completely recoverred since swapping
hdc?

Definitely. I even had the computer running for a couple of days on a fully restored raid.

All in all I have made 4 or 5 syncs now, each taking about 9 hours. And I've made sure to shut down the computer cleanly afterwards.

Also, when hdc3 is marked faulty on the superblock on hda3 and hdg2, shouldn't hdc3's superblock be updated? It seems to me that hdc3 gets thoroughly ignored.

Since hdc3 is in mdadm.conf I've been under the impression that mdadm should at least say that it's missing.

Regards, Troels
-