still a boot issue

I have been making some progress with my attempted raid1 of boot and
root... but I just can't get it to boot. I have looked at several docs
and tried umpteen times to tweak based on suggestions and documentation.
So if there is any other advice out there.. please... I am near the end
of my rope.

I have a system with two sata drives and a 2.4.29 kernel w/mdadm and the
md driver in the kernel. I see the raid personalities in /proc/mdstat
when the system boots.

I have added a kernel parm md=1,/dev/sda3,/dev/sdb3  to my grub.conf
line.

When I boot the system it fails to setup the array md1 because it cannot
read the superblock for the array. Is this because the /dev/sda3 fs is
already loading or mounted?

An entry in /var/log/messages tells me:

md: could not lock [08:03] zero size?

What else should I look for?  I may be forced to give up on software
raid completely if I cannot solve this mystery. That will mean the
windows grunts here will have more ammo to insist on a change to windows
platforms for our servers....  grumble!

hoping against hope for input.

cheers...

--p