Re: split RAID1 during backups?

Jeff Breidenbach wrote:

So - I'm thinking of the following backup scenario.  First, remount
/dev/md0 readonly just to be safe. Then mount the two component
paritions (sdc1, sdd1) readonly. Tell the webserver to work from one
component partition, and tell the backup process to work from the
other component partition. Once the backup is complete, point the
webserver back at /dev/md0, unmount the component partitions, then
switch read-write mode back on.

Why not do something like this ?

mount -o remount,ro /dev/md0 /web
mdadm --fail /dev/md0 /dev/sdd1
mdadm --remove /dev/md0 /dev/sdd1
mount -o ro /dev/sdd1 /target

<do backup here>

umount /target
mdadm -add /dev/md0 /dev/sdd1
mount -o remount,rw /dev/md0 /web

That way the web server continues to run from the md..
However you will endure a rebuild on md0 when you re-add the disk, but given everything is mounted read-only, you should not practically be doing anything and if you fail a disk during the rebuild the other disk will still be intact.

I second jurriaan's vote for rsync also, but I would be inclined just to let it loose on the whole disk rather than break it up into parts.. but then I have heaps of ram too..

Regards,
Brad
-