Re: big fault :-)

danci@xxxxxxxxx schrieb:
On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Karsten Römke wrote:

Oct 11 18:15:44 hhbgate kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector
97562304
Oct 11 18:15:44 hhbgate kernel: raid1: hda: unrecoverable I/O read error for
block 94440448

the recovering prozess starts again and again.

Any hints what to do?

Try to save as much data as possible to a new, known good disk - as soon as possible. You might be lucky and the data is not spread over those bad sectors...

Syncing the array will *always* hit bad sectors and thus will *always* fail.

 D.

Hi and thanks for all the hints.
The problem is solved in the following way:
- checking all cables and power-connectors -> no success => hda has bad sectors
- booting with a rescue cd based on gentoo
- synching again: it runs with errors but completes
- removing hda3 from the array md1
- check reiserfs on md1 => errors and the hint to use --rebuild-tree
- backup as much as possible from md1 unsing rsync -> works, only a few files can't be
  read
- running reiserfsck on md1 with build-tree => success
- hoping that I get a new hard-disk in short time :-)
Thanks again
    Karsten
By the way: is it possible to make a raid1 array SMALLER?
 I found hints howto get it bigger and the way seems very easy, but
 to shrink it? Reason: When I set up the server I have some people behind
 me, who mostly say: can't it be faster? - so I accepted the partions which are
 recommended by Suse (and which are not really suitable for my needs)

-