Re: Automatic drive partitioning

> > which makes sense, since "rectangular" geometries have been lies for a long
> > time (all drives have variable spt.)
>
> I tried copying the partition table using sfdisk and it complained
> about "partition does not start at a cylinder boundary". After re-running
> with the --force flag (like a dd copy would do) and formatting the partition,
> the system went nuts.

hmm, well, I guess you are coming from an older/non-LBA disk.  I suppose
I should have mentioned that little caveat: don't try the dd trick
going from CHS to LBA.  LBA->LBA should be OK, and CHS is OK if nheads
and nsectors match (and ncyl doesn't go off the end of the disk, of course!)
I don't think the kernel's partition code cares much about
cylinder-alignment (in the CHS world), but other OS's would.
the definition of where the first possible partition starts also
depends on the size of cylinders (nheads*nsectors)...

> Thanks for the hint of variable number of cylinders, but I rather not rely on
> that as I want to solve this in a generic manner.

I believe that in an all-LBA world, it's a non-problem.

-