Wierd issue with hard-drive, unable to write to/change it

I've got a hard-drive that is connected to a Promise IDE Controller (20268 chipset) as a primary (cable select) drive, and with a second drive on the cable as slave (cable select). Currently, fdisk claims it as having an invalid partition table. Mdadm examine shows it as being part of an old array (the array is long since history and disassembled). If I try to write a partition table to it, using fdisk, cfdisk, parted, and a few other utililities available in the debian repository, it claims success upon writing the changed partition table to the drive, no sync problem, but for posterity, I reboot the machine after the fdisk changes anyways. However, the problem is that no changes I make to the drives partition table (or even dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdi bs=4096, or mdadm --zero-superblock (v1.9, 2.1)) are saved...

If you try a 'dd if=/dev/hdi of=testing bs=4096 count=1' , the testing file shows what seems to be an XFS filesystem identifier (this is all after trying to dd the drive with zero's, and trying remove any superblocks at the end and beginning of the drive). Its as if the drive is in some wierd, read-only mode... (hdparm reports readonly: no), and there are no error messages when trying to write partition info, or dd'ing the drive with zero's.. it just happily accepts the commands, but seemingly drops them in the garbage.

I've wasted several hours troubleshooting this... I've run Maxtors advanced diagnostics on the drive, and even it reports no problems.

I am stumped... any suggestions?

Notes: the slave drive on the same cable as this "bad drive", is the exact same model drive, and accepts changes with no problems (for example, creating a new raid 5 array with it, and then examining with mdadm -E, shows the new raid information). I've tried both a 2.6.13.1 kernel, and 2.4.31, and an older debian kernel as well. I've tried an xfs_repair on the drive, hoping to fix *something* that may be amiss, and this seems to go into a loop of searching for different superblocks, it seems to start the search over continually (I'm assuming it checks where it thinks the backup superblocks should be, not finding any across the whole drive, then starting the search over again.. I left this for half an hour, with the same "messages" reporting over and over, in between the "........" status dots.) I also tryed running smartctl -t long on the drive, and it says that the test is started, but looking at smartctl -a, there are no tests showing as active, and the drive is reported as healthy.

Notes2: The only ideas I have, is A) a fubar ide controller B) fubar drive without any useful diagnostic recognizing it C) something set as readonly... somewhere... only things I can think of are 1) jumper 2) bios 3) linux .... but shouldn't I get some kind of error if its readonly? .. not a "success" for dd'ing zero's to the drive, "success" for writing and syncing the partition table, "success" (no error message) doing an mdadm --zero-superblock

# fdisk -l /dev/hdi
Disk /dev/hdi: 251.0 GB, 251000193024 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30515 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk /dev/hdi doesn't contain a valid partition table

# mdadm -E /dev/hdi
/dev/hdi:
         Magic : a92b4efc
       Version : 00.90.01
          UUID : 04037f85:22382a10:9b872a89:afbf8390
 Creation Time : Sun Apr 24 22:55:33 2005
    Raid Level : raid5
  Raid Devices : 6
 Total Devices : 6
Preferred Minor : 0

   Update Time : Mon Apr 25 09:09:12 2005
         State : clean
Active Devices : 4
Working Devices : 5
Failed Devices : 3
 Spare Devices : 1
      Checksum : abaa5d59 - correct
        Events : 0.4099634

        Layout : left-symmetric
    Chunk Size : 128K

     Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
this     0      22        0        0      active sync   /dev/hdc

  0     0      22        0        0      active sync   /dev/hdc
  1     1      22       64        1      active sync   /dev/hdd
  2     2       0        0        2      faulty removed
  3     3      33       64        3      active sync   /dev/hdf
  4     4      34        0        4      active sync   /dev/hdg
  5     5       0        0        5      faulty removed
  6     6      34       64        5      spare   /dev/hdh

Thanks,
Tyler.