Re: number of global spares?

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 15:47 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Dan Stromberg wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 15:00 +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> >

> >>"Guy" <bugzilla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >>
> >>[...]
> >>>>

> >>[...]
> >>>

> >>I absolutely agree with this.  When - and it is when, not if - the
> >>content of this filesystem goes away, you will be rightly blamed for it.
> >>
> >>Invest the few thousand dollars in a good high capacity tape drive and
> >>pay someone to change the tapes.  This will be worth it when the system
> >>finally does fail in some nasty, unpredictable way!
> >>

> >I was on paternity leave when the solution was selected, but the guy
> >with the grant money has been disinterested in backups from the
> >beginning.
> >
> >The policy is going to be "your homedir will be backed up.  Your files
> >under /data will not, unless you back them up yourself."
> >
> >My job is to work within that restriction, and possibly advise for
> >backups, but nothing more.  The purchasing decision is not mine.
> >
> Clearly you have some input into it. I would suggest that you at least
> go on record (paper trail CYA) on the need for backup. If you can't get
> incrementals on whatever does the /home directories, at least you could
> suggest a DVD burner and regular backups. That is a tiny bump on the
> hardware budget, and small storage requirement. You could backup as many
> datasets as will fit on one DVD every day, oldest unsaved first. Then
> when it fails you will be the hero ;-)

We actually have decent backups of /home.

It's /data that won't be backed up, unless the users make their own
arrangements.

I kind of like the idea of doing incrementals to DVD or something,
augmented by md5 or sha-* signatures, but I don't think it's going to
happen.

I've already discussed this with my management, and with the PI.

Thanks though.  Your advice is helpful.

-