Re: Highpoint 1820A

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

Hi.

I have struggled with an 1820A for a while, trying to verify it's properly functioning and failing. Does anyone have a success story with this card under linux?

Quite a long story.

First I download the linux package, flash the controller with the attached BIOS, compile the driver etc, everything looks fine. I create the raid, I sync it up, write to it, everything looks fine and dandy. Then I pull a drive, it's properly detected, I replug it and that's also detected. I start a rebuild in the CLI under linux and it starts resyncing. After resyuncing the computer just freezes, the very instant after it says "rebuild complete". After some contact with support@highpoint I end up installing XP and trying it there. I have to reflash into a windows BIOS on the 1820A, but then it works perfectly.

I then re-install linux and run the linux driver on the windows BIOS. Now it's rebuild properly, but after I try to use the verify command, it says "inconsistant" and starts rebuilding again. This can be done three times in a row, it never seems to be consistant.

That's my current situation. I am currently trying software RAID5 instead, we'll see if that works better.

I would be very happy to hear from anyone with good experience with this and their open source driver, and hear what configuration you're using and if you had to do anything special.

You don't provide any details as to what kernel version (and if its vanilla or not), what versions of the highpoint driver(s)/programs and bioses are you using, if there are any other messages in the system logs, what type of raid you are using (raid 1 or 5 since it sounds like you are using redundancy (re: hotplug, rebuild, etc)).

Make your story longer :)

Tyler.