Re: question regarding multipath & Linux 2.6

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 02:51:44PM -0400, Jim Faulkner wrote:

Hello,

Recently my department had a SAN installed, and I am in the process of setting up one of the first Linux machines connected to it. The machine is running Red Hat Enterprise AS4 (x86_64), which uses Linux kernel version 2.6.9-11.ELsmp.
giving more info about the infamous SAN would help :)

The SAN shows up twice in the kernel, as /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc. /dev/sdb is inaccessible (I get a bunch of "Buffer I/O error on device sdb" kernel errors), but /dev/sdc works fine. According to the administrator of the
it probably is a cheapo storage with an Active/Passive storage
controller, you cannot use md to handle those.

He told me to use PowerPath, but I'd rather not have to reinstall or
it is a long time i don't see powerpath on linux, but i am in favour of
ditching proprietary multipath solutions in favour of free ones.

what you want is multipath-tools http://christophe.varoqui.free.fr/
RH4 should already include a multipath-tools rpm.

Regards,
Luca

--
Luca Berra -- bluca@xxxxxxxxxx