To: "Mark Cuss" <mcuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2005 5:29 AM
Subject: Re: How to force a spare drive to take over in a RAID5?

Mark Cuss wrote:

Hi!

I have a 4 drive SW RAID5 running on my machine.  One of the drives is
upset for some reason - I'm not sure if the drive itself is bad, but
that's not too important right now.  The important thing is to get the
RAID5 to stop using this drive and start using a spare drive that I
just added.

I did a raidhotadd to add in a new drive, sds.  Now, I would like the
array to stop using sdr and reconstruct all of the parity tables on
sds so I can pull sdr and get it replaced or whatever...

Any ideas?

Install and read the manpage for mdadm

What kernel version?

David