Re: Can't work out how to recover after multiple failures

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:22:21 +0100, "J. Ali Harlow" <ali@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
said:
> Can anyone please help me get my raid 1 device back up and running? I
> had a chipset failure which took out one disk and then just after
> replacing the disk and resyncing, the original disk lost power due to a
> loose connection. mdadm seems to think that both devices are fine, but I
> can't seem to fine the magic vodoo to get the raid array working again.
> Sorry if this is a really stupid question. I did read the documentation
> for mdadm pretty carefully, but I'm obviously missing something. Many
> thanks,

Finally got this working. There seem to have been two issues. First,
mdadm didn't like running an array as a seperate step to assembling it.
(mdadm -R /dev/md0 was giving me "Invalid Argument"). Doing this in one
step however did work. Secondly, I suspect the two devices weren't
synced even though mdadm -E wasn't showing this which was casuing
attempts to assemble an array containing both devices to quietly fail.
The final sequence which worked was:

reboot
mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 --run /dev/hda2
mdadm /dev/md0 -a /dev/hde2

Easy when you know :-)

Ali.

--