Re: raid5 - failed disks - i'm confusing

Doug Ledford wrote:

Anyway, it might or might not hurt the drives to run them well below
their designed operating temperature, I don't have schematics and
materials lists in front of me to tell for sure.  But second guessing
mechanical engineers that likely have compensated for thermal issues at
a given, specific common operating temperature is usually risky.  Most
people think "Heat kills" and therefore like to keep things as cool as
possible.  For mechanical devices anyway, it's not so much that heat
kills, as it is operating outside of the designed temperature range,
either above or below, that reduces overall life expectancy.  Keep your
drives from overheating, but don't try to freeze them would be my
advice.

Indeed. This paper

 http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/technolo/drivetemp/drivetemp.htm

shows some of the factors you mention and for what it's worth Hitachi's
recommended operating range is 5 - 55 C for their 15K SCSI.

Regards,

Richard

-