Re: 8-port SATA PCI/PCIX adaptor

* Max Waterman (davidmaxwaterman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) [050402 16:42]:
> http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo-x_esata8.html
> do you think this will work with Linux?
>
> what about Linux on an Intel platform?
>
> I wonder how it performs - esp. compared to the supermicro card
> http://supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/DAC-SATA-MV8.cfm which
> which is a fair bit cheaper at ~$99 and presents the ports internally. I
> know the Supermicro has a linux driver (they emailed it to me), but I
> haven't tried it.

You may also take a look at new motherboards from (for instance)
Asus which have already 8 SATA ports of their own.  I have one board
with 4 SATA on board, 4x300GB disks striped reaching over 200MB/s.

See http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A8N-SLI%20Deluxe&langs=09
Anyone tried to use all 8 ports at the same time?
The less special hardware the better, IMO.
--
               MarkOv