From: Brad Campbell [mailto:brad@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2004 1:17 AM
To: Guy
Cc: 'Mark Klarzynski'; linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: good drive / bad drive (maxtor topic)

Guy wrote:
> It would be handy if someone would do an extended test of all of the disk
> drives.  Consumer Reports does this type of thing all the time, just not
on
> disk drives.  I don't think they do any extended tests on any computer
> hardware.  The testing should continue for 5 years.  And it could be
mostly
> automated.  No user interaction unless something goes wrong.  Now we need
> someone with money!  :)

Problem with this is by the time the test has any sort of meaningful data,
the drives have been
obsoleted/EOL'd.

For the record I have 12 Maxtor Maxline-II 250GB drives here which have 200
days on the clock and
nary a hiccup. I don't doubt people have trouble with Maxtor drives, hell
prior to the release of
the Maxline-II drives I would not have looked at them sideways, too many
previous bad experiences.
Having said that, I have had just as many Seagate drives fail and I won't
touch them either. I had a
bad run with WD and the dodgy firmware that failed when used in a RAID, and
I have had a couple of
them fail recently.

The only drives I have had long enough to consider a good sample were
Quantum Fireballs, and I ran
those for 5 years with no failures. A friend of mine, however was not so
lucky and had a huge
failure rate with them.

Besides the IBM deathstar fiasco I really believe there appears to be little
rhyme or reason to
patterns of failure. Bad batches, lousy operating conditions, different
usage patterns, bad
wholesaler/transport handling will all play a part.

I'm just crossing my fingers and making sure the drives are well cooled,
have minimised temperature
cycling (not shutting the box down unless I have to) and are well monitored.

I'm about to purchase another 25 Maxline-II's so that might help with the
sample distribution.
(At least Maxtor have a decent RMA process, WD's internation RMA process
sucks)

--
Brad
                    /"\