Re: Good news / bad news - The joys of RAID

"Guy" <bugzilla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Amanda...
> I looked into this about 2 years ago.  From what I found, each daily backup
> used a different tape.  This is crazy!  I can put 10-20 days on 1 tape.
> Maybe more, not really sure.  Of course it is based on how much data changes
> each day.  So, my full backups are only needed about once every 2-3 weeks.

Using several tapes, switching every day (or however often you make
backups), is a good idea.  If the tapes can hold more than one backup,
just keep adding to the oldest tape when all have been used once.
That way, if the system explodes during a backup, it won't take the
most recent backup with it.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@xxxxxxxxxxxxx