RE: Good news / bad news - The joys of RAID

The re-sync to the spare should have been automatic, without a re-boot.
Your errors related to ata timeout is not a Linux issue.  My guess is the
bios could see the drive, but the drive was not responding correctly.  I
think this is life with ata.  I have had similar problems with SCSI.  1
drive failed in a way that it caused problems with other drives on the same
SCSI bus.

It could be that your array was re-building, but did not finish.  In that
case it would start over from the beginning.  Which may look like it did not
attempt to re-build until the re-boot.  Did you check the status before you
shut it down?  I use mdadm's monitor mode to send me email when events
occur.  By the time I read my emails, a drive has failed and the re-sync to
the spare is done.  No need to check logs.

Yes, it is normal that md will not re-sync 2 arrays that share a common
device.  One will be delayed until the other finishes.

Second reminder....
Never buy Maxtor drives again!

This quote seems to fit real well!
"Sure you saved money, but at what cost?" - Guy Watkins

Guy