Re: RAID5 - 2nd drive died whilst waiting for RMA

Måns Rullgård wrote:

David Greaves <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I've been tracking this on the ide list and I've been nervous of
applying anything since I don't have proper backups. I'm relying on
redundancy.

RAID can *never* replace proper backups. RAID only protects against
low-level disk failures. Filesystem corruption caused by bugs,
accidental deleting of files, etc. are happily allowed. Get a DVD
burner, you'll thank yourself one day.

Got one.
I have 935Gb of data (soon to be 1.2Tb)
Each DVD holds 4.7Gb and takes 20-30 mins to burn.
Any other ideas ? ;)

David

PS Seriously - the data is films, my CDs, DVDs, TV shows and the like. It's a bummer to lose but in the grand scheme of things it's only the telly.
My _real_ personal data (photos etc) are mirrored onto physically seperate disks each night. The 'backups' are remounted read-only. It's the 'rsync snapshot' method.

See: http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

Thanks for your concern though :)

-