Re: A few mdadm questions

Neil:
The machine is/was running plain Mandrake 8.0 (Debian wouldn't install on that box); I built the box more than a year ago and haven't had to mess with it after the first week or so -- no reboots until this drive failed. Methinks Mandrake 8 is 2.4.3 (the box won't boot on its own merits
now -- so I'm afraid I can't be more specific); currently I'm booting via a live CD with a gentoo 2.6 kernel.

Guy:
The array is a five-disk array -- hde1, hdi1, hdk1, hdm1, hdo1. That's how I created it. When I do mdadm -E on any of the drives, it also shows a device 1 as "faulty removed", but that device never existed and I don't know why it is listed (and it doesn't seem to matter to the array, since I've run degraded on 4 disks before). I created the array with the old tools and a raidtab.

hde1, hdm1, and hdo1 are the "good" drives.
hdk1 is the drive which initially failed (and is listed as faulty)
hdi1 (device 5) is the disk I raidhotremoved (and now is spare)

It has been a while since this happened, but as I remember it was a Saturday when I checked on the array and noticed that there was a bad disk. What doesn't make sense is that it would have been in the afternoon -- is the time stamp in the superblock GMT? If so, that might make sense. However, I certainly did not notice a drive was out and do the remove within 2 seconds -- at a minimum it would have been several minutes, and could have been as long as weeks.

Continued thanks!

Bob.

I'm still very surprised that you managed to "raidhotremove" without
"raidsetfaulty" first... What kernel (exactly) are you running?

NeilBrown