Re: raid5, media scans and stripe-wise resync

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:36:33 -0400
David Mansfield <md@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2) how can we force (or manually perform) a stripe-wise resync? is it
> possible to take the raid offline completely, read the data with dd,
> compute the parity manually, reassign the bad block using SCU and
> rewrite the parity block with dd then put the raid online again?

In raid5 there's no real need for that. When you add disk back into array,
it should get fully resynced anyway.

I've written a short blurb in my blog about a rather rude method to handle
misbehaving disks. Basically take it out of the array, run badblocks -w on
it for a week and if it's ok, put it back :)

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org/