RE: raidtools vs mdadm

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 19:42, Neil Brown wrote:
> On Wednesday September 8, rich@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > > It is impossible to know.  There is no difference.
> > if i were to read the superblock myself, would it look different for
> > devices created with mdadm than with devices created with raidtools?
>
> No.  There is no different.  Zero.  They are the same thing.

> > am trying to figure out a way of knowing which tool was used to create
> > them in the event that we need to rebuild them. any difference i can
> > count on consistently is what i am looking for. the problem is that if
> > we recreate raid devices using mdadm and their init scripts dont start
> > the raid devices then the devices will not be assembled, and could
> > possibly cause the system to not boot.
>
> How you create the array and how you start the array are two different
> things.  They don't need to be done with the same tool.
>
> If the init scripts don't start an array created with mdadm, then they
> won't start an array created with raidtools either.

Actually, some initscripts (I'm familiar with FC2) do a sanity check for
the existence of configuration files. I created my array with mdadm but
didn't bother to set up /etc/raidtab. the absence of /etc/raidtab as a
file caused the initscripts (rc.sysinit) to skip trying to start the
raid.

Once I modified rc.sysint to test for /etc/mdadm.conf and use mdadm
--assemble --scan, everything worked fine.

Mileage varies depending on how the initscript was written. and how you
have provided configuration details.