RE: Getting HD Serial Numbers in RAID

Usually, most hardware RAID stuff does give software. However since this
one (AACRAID/PERC) is such a common controller, this manufacturer didn't
include it. We do have some for other systems, but they are in Windows,
and I can't seem to figure out how to get the serial numbers through
that either.

Interestingly, if you have the arrays broken, you can pull the serial
numbers just fine.

Some RAID cards (ie. DAC90 chipset) will report all the disks when the
kernel module is loaded. I figured I could just sorta re-work that stuff
and see if I could probe it.

I am having some trouble with the AACRAID module though. It looks like
it grabs the info, but I can't tell if it does it when the drives are
actually RAIDed.

Thank you for the info, I will see if I can get it via the SMART stuff.
I will post if I have any luck.

Thanks!

Augustine

-