Re: lilo boot problems

maarten wrote:

Hi list,

I've got bitten by the recent bug(?) that lilo seems to have with 2.6.x kernels where, upon install, it prints:

Fatal: Trying to map files from unnamed device 0x0000

I've tried everything I could think of in lilo.conf to no avail. Using google there are several (but not many) threads about this specific error but I've not seen a solution anywhere yet.

A "raid-extra-boot" line doesn't help any, neither do any other options.

At this point, I'm not even sure where the error comes from as even trying to install a normal non-raid lilo.conf now fails.

As an aside, this is what I'm trying to accomplish:
I have a SATA boot drive /dev/sda with the root fs being /dev/sda2. I have a degraded raid1 device consisting of /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdc1, dev/sdd1. (I realize this is badly chosen; had the partition number been 2 instead of 1 I probably would've been able to boot after changing the physical order of the drives without any changes... But as it is, I can't.)
I'm trying to swap sdb and sda so it will boot off the raid1 device (or else just of any of the 3 simple partitions that form the raid1 device...) so I can then add the former /dev/sda to the array to complete it.

Any insights...?

Maarten

you have to reconstruct your array first.
-