Re: mdadm question

On Friday August 20, lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a question about mdadm usage. One of me customers killed a
> raid5+1 by accidently removing an ide bus with two disk on it (dont't
> ask, I know ;-))
>
> Assuming that the data is on the disks I'm looking for a way to convince
>   linux to mark the superblocks (of the missing disk only?) as "not
> failed" so that the raid comes up again. mdadm seems to have what I am
> looking for, like "madm --assemble --update=? --force" can write the
> superblocks freshly without destorying the data on it? Do I have to use
> --update=super$,1rp(Bminor or --update=super$,1rp(Bminor on ia32?
> Or is there an recovery tool for such a case (i.e. mddump?)?

You don't need any --update.  Just --assemble --force.  mdadm will
then pick the best available drives to assemble a degraded array (one
drive missing).  If the result seems good (e.g. fsck reports ok), then
you can add the other drive (--add) and it will be reconstructed with
consistent data.

NeilBrown

-