RE: Forcing raid1 resync

Thanks for the reply.

> quad xeons are *normally* memory-bound, since their design is
> really quite poor, with all four CPUs sharing a relatively
> slow bus.  they'll be OK for purely cache-bound workloads,
> but are pretty much a huge mistake for anything out-of-cache
> (as, indeed, md raid5 is carefully designed to be!)

All of my RAID arrays are raid1 except for the raid0 array of which the
raid1 arrays are members.  I have no raid5 arrays in this system.  The
system in question has 16GB of RAM.

> > > Is this behavior expected/by design?  Waiting for 26 arrays to
> > > reconstruct one at a time is painfully slow.  When I
>
> I wonder whether your configuration might have something to
> do with this - iirc the kernel tries to be smart about
> sequencing the md's that it resyncs, since it would be very
> bad to resync 10 arrays which share the same spindles.
> perhaps it doesn't understand which block devices correspond
> with separate spindles.

Is there any way to make the kernel "less smart?" :)  Maybe there should
be a /proc entry to specify the number of simultaneous arrays to allow
to sync at once.  None of the arrays in this box share the same spindles
(although there are 6 or 7 disks per SCSI channel; each SCSI card is on
it's own PCI bus as to make sure each set of disks has the most
available bus bandwidth).

> > > about 5 arrays started syncing, but the rest waited until
> those were
> > > finished and then synced one at a time.
>
> that sounds like a (good, in principle) designed behavior.

Yes, it would be fine with me if there were 5 arrays syncing at a time,
however it dwindles down to 1 and then stays there. :\

Would it be advisable for me to post this issue to the lkml and see if
anyone knows anymore out there in kernel-land?

Thanks again for the reply,
Andy.
-