Re: Force parity resync on raid5?

Guy wrote:

You were using skip/seek wrong.

typo - thanks.

This is just pseudo code? I use bash or ksh, you can't do "n=n+1".
You don't ever end, again pseudo code I assume.

Indeed - should have said - I wouldn't want anyone to cut'n'paste :)
(and that typo shows why!)

I would only do this if the filesystem on md0 is not mounted.

Yes - I thought it would be safe for / in single user and realised it wouldn't.
I was also thinking

n=0
while
 dd if=/dev/md0 of=/tmp/block count=x_for_efficiency skip=n
 dd of=/dev/md0 if=/dev/zero count=x_for_efficiency seek=n
 dd of=/dev/md0 if=/tmp/block count=x_for_efficiency seek=n
 n= n + 1
loop

in case something in a block/md layer was smart enough to see no changes and not write it for real - I really don't know but it's more paranoid.

Anyway - the question remains - would this be the right approach?

Hmm - I wonder what would be needed to make the resync code do this...

David

Guy