Re: Force parity resync on raid5?

Neil Brown wrote:

On Tuesday August 10, philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Linux RAID *has* to have sort of way to force a parity resync.  If it
doesn't have one, it needs one.  That's a glaring omission to make.

Well, you get what you pay for.....

Tell me where to send the checks. Seriously. I know you guys work hard on this stuff and I will gladly donate to the fund to have important (to me) features implemented.

The easiest way to force a resync would be to re-create the array.

 - Note the exact order of the drives in the array, and the chunk size.
 - Stop the array.
 - Create the array with mdadm using --force.  That bit is important.

Do I need to note the parity algorithm, too?

    mdadm --create /dev/mdX --level=5 --force --disks=whatever \
       --chunksize=64k  /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 .....

 Remember the --force.  If you don't have it, you will get a recovery
 cycle that rebuilds one drive against the others rather than a resync
 that checks and corrects parity.

 This will recreate the array (almost) exactly as it currently is, but
 it will not be marked 'clean', so a parity check-and-correct will
 happen.

Does this destroy the data on the array? I seem to remember getting this advice a while back when encountering a similar problem and seeing my data go up in smoke. I could easily have done something wrong, though.
-