Re: Software RAID-1: step-by-step help needed...

Gordon Henderson wrote:

You can do either. Personally, I create identical partitions on each drive
and then mirror them.

OK. What would be the difference (in terms of performance and/or ease of configuration/maintenance) between the two methods?

Probably the easiest way to get started is to pick a distribution that
lets you build the disks as a mirror from install time - Eg. Red Hat (or
whatever it's called these days) If you have an existing server with one
disk and want to add a 2nd as a mirror, thats not too difficult. you need
to read the stuff in the Software RADI HowTo which has the information on
how to do it all.

I see, but I *have to* install Debian on it.
I already installed it (as a test) following the instructions found at:
http://www.inittab.de/manuals/debootstrap.html
I guess the hardest task will be configuring RAID, as the system works with the above procedure...

Booting RAID1 with Lilo is easy, I presume you can do it too with grub,
but I don't use grub.

I'll stick with LiLo because I'm used to use it on other systems.

Regards,
--
Boniforti Flavio

Tecnoparco del Lago Maggiore