RE: what is the best multi-SATA-controller-on-a-single-board out there?

Jon,

I've got a very similar setup to you - 2 x SATA150 TX4 with 6 x Maxtor 250GB
drives.

I had exactly the same symptoms and I found it was caused by failing drives.
I think I got a bad batch, or a bad supplier or something because I had
three out of a batch of four fail. I got replacements from Maxtor (3 year
warranty) and have not had any problems since.

When you RMA their drives they ask that you download a utility called
"powermax" and check out the drives before returning them - the utility
gives you a failure code if the drive is bad. Try downloading it and running
the quick test on your drives. I'll give you 5-1 that they will fail.

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

-