Re: raidreconf

Nick Maynard wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to track down a recent version of raidreconf, but all my Google
searches have come up blank - the latest I can find is 2001 sometime.

Now, I know someone on the list (Brad I think) has been working on raidreconf
quite recently - has anyone got any info on where I can get a more recent
version?

Things have slowed a little in that department at the moment as my main test hard disk underwent a rapid deceleration test from a table to a tiled floor and has somewhat ceased to function. (Don't try this one at home kids)

Prior to that I had got as far as intermittently creating raid-6 volumes that worked (the rest of the time the blocks were all intact but in the wrong order!) and kludging it to work with raid-5 volumes over 2TB. (I did manage to reconfigure a 1.6TB array to be a 2.1TB array with no data loss).

I have a new set of test drives in my purchase queue, but have not quite got that far yet.

The raidtools-1.00.3.tar.gz package is the one I have been working with and seems to be pretty stable on anything under 2TB. I certainly did not hit any major flaws while working with it as is.

I'm currently thinking about how to do it while removing the dependency on raidtools and moving to a mdadm like setup, but have not got far down that path.

If you want to use raidreconf and you created your arrays with mdadm then use lsraid to generate a suitable raidtab, edit that to create the new one and have at it.
On <2TB I found it pretty solid.

Regards,
Brad
-