Re: 1x 3ware controllers vs. 2x 3ware controllers

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> And also because scsi drives can do tagged queueing which makes it more
> efficient to do a lot of smaller operations. Historically the SCSI drives
> also had more cache memory which helps the situation, and the scsi
> RAID controllers probably also had more cache memory on them (I know RAID
> systems that have gigabytes of cache memory).

What I find amusing these days is trying to work out the "boundary" point
between a "traditional" server with an (external) RAID controller and say
a Linux server with software RAID in a purely fileserving environment (eg.
NFS/Samba, not used for local operations at all) ... Both systems as a
unit provide the same services - ie. filespace at the end of the Ether,
but what are the advantages of one over the other, and why would I ever
want a hardware RAID controller in a PCI slot in a Server PC?

Discuss... ;-)

Gordon
-