Re: 1x 3ware controllers vs. 2x 3ware controllers

Mark Watts wrote:
With the performance issues I'm seeing with the 8506-4LP's I have, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone currently...

The thread on LKML from a few days ago about mke2fs -j and 8506-4LP says it all, but basically and reasonable amount of I/O brings a Dual Opteron system to its knees.
And by reasonable I mean copying ISO images from a usb2 drive to a raid 5 (4 x 250GB maxtor) or even just formatting a 600MB partition.

I would be interested to see the output of 'vmstat 1' while your system is so slow.

IMHO you shouldn't draw such conclusion ("reasonable amount of I/O brings a
Dual Opteron system to its knees") from your particular case. The 3 HT links
of the Opteron make this CPU particularly adapted to I/O operations.

Personnaly, on a dual Opteron, I am able to read datas from 4 SATA disks at
about 225 MB/s, with CPU time used at about 32%, awd with a system still
reasonably responsive.

--
Marc Bevand                          http://www.epita.fr/~bevand_m
Computer Science School EPITA - System, Network and Security Dept.

-