Re: I/O Blocking

Jason C. Leach wrote:

Hi,

Both the RAID (Promise SuperTrak 6000) or the USB subsystems really drive the system load up. I'm using a AMD 3200+ system that is only a few months old with the 2.4.25 kernel. When the I/O systems are blocking the system is very unresponsive. Some times samba will timeout, or I'll wait several seconds for commands like df, top, w and so on.

I am wondering if I were to use a dual CPU system, would this solve my I/O blocking problem? Would one CPU tend to the I/O subsystem and the second would deal with other system requests I (samba, DB, LDAP, ...)?
-

HMMM I seemed to have lost the 1st of the thread, 2 cents worth .. what ya pay for ...

I might be supect of the m/b IDE channels (personally had lots of failures) - SMART drives that are not configured as SMART (sorry, I always use Intel, AMD...?) enableing in bios and kernel or mod might give clues. I, also, think that there must be an IRQ conflict, IRQ unanswered, or same ilk.

You could test by swapping drives, swapping m/b's. What sizes are your disks? What RAM do you use,, I do have a plethora of hwde I could loan.

b-