From: linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jason C. Leach
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 2:10 PM
To: Guy
Cc: linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: I/O Blocking

Guy:

CPU load is very low (95-96% idle), load avg is 2. The system has 512MB
RAM, some free and only a few megs swapped out.  If I was really working
the RAID card I would get load avgs more like 2.5-3.  Right now just
light USB and system usage and I am at 2.

I though if one CPU was tied up with the process that is blocking (using
the RAID card), then the second would be free to deal with user
requests. Or am I misunderstanding SMP and blocking I/O?

J.

Guy wrote:

>What is the CPU load like?  Are you at 100%?  If so a second CPU may help.
>If you are blocked on i/o it should not use much CPU, so my guess is your
>CPU load is very low, and a second CPU won't do much.  How much RAM do you
>have?  Are you swapping?
>
>Guy

-

-