Re: New RAID-5 800GB array, wich fs ? wich stripe block size ?

800 GB in one filesystem is possible, but I think it'll make life easier if you have multiple partitions which you can mount wherever you want.

Technically speaking, I prefer the LVM2 solution on which you can make and resize partitions on the fly.

I must admit I lost my raid5 with LVM2. The cause will probably have been my fault, although I don't know what I did wrong, so I suggest if you have critical data, a backup on another medium is still advised.

Good luck.

Bernhard
Aurélien Gouny wrote:
Hi all,

I have a Promise SX6000 card and i juste have bought 6x160 GB HDs that make a 800 GB RAID-5 array.
I was wondering wich filesytem I should use (ext3/reiserfs/xfs/jfs/...), if I should make one or more partitions and wich stripe block size to use knowing that:

- it will be mainly a file-server with mp3s, divx, pictures (1 to 4MB each) and some files (openoffice, ...) all shared with Samba.
- it will have a small postgresql database

If someone need more information in order to determine the stripe block size or else, just ask ;)

Thanks a lot, (sorry for bad english)
Aurélien
-

-