Help; question follow-up.

Apropos
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-raid&m=108932298006669&w=2
- my first post - Subject:(Can I mark a RAID 1 drive as old? Move it?
SCA hangs)  Troubles creating a reliable backup system.

Was my post OT? Too long? Confusing? (Or just no one here felt like
volunteering to answer it?)
Just thought I'd ask before posting to, e.g. news:...linux...hardware.

In brief, the problems I'd love help with (from the Subject) are 3:

Can I mark a RAID 1 drive as old?
(I.e. not 'failed', but rather old, as in older than the other drive(s)
in the raid1 array it's in.)

Move it?  I.e. how can I move a drive in a raid array from one drive bay
to another and have the resulting drive letter change not be a problem?

Why is the system failing when I put a drive into the system?

Details in original email at the URL above.

Thinking about buying the O'Reilly RAID book, though I doubt it'll
answer these off-the-beaten-path questions.

--

Mr. Elvey (<firstname>@<lastname>.com)

Ignore me. What follows is a test.

Wondering if the text below triggered the keyword filter (pre- s/v/u) in
my last post:

(Yes, my post appeared twice - wasn't my fault - majordomo rejected my
svbscription confirmation, and I didn't notice until I'd posted.  Then
it accepted when I tried again, and I posted again, assuming it wouldn't
accept the post of a non-svbscriber.  It accepted both posts, but only
belatedly (or the moderator approved one) Majordomo requires the
confirmation be sent from the svbscriber's address, which is silly; it
has the approval code in it.)
-