Re: Really fucked up raid0 array

On Monday 05 July 2004 16:58, you wrote:
> maarten van den Berg wrote:
> >On Monday 05 July 2004 13:39, Geir Råness wrote:

> >Maybe you cannot umount it because it's still in use ?  In that case, run
> >'lsof | grep <mountpoint>' to see what resources use files on that
> > mountpoint, and terminate these processes first.

> Way ahead of you.
> lsof freeses to, so i arn't able to find out what is using the disk.
>
> All programs like:
> ps
> finger
> who
> lsof
> ls
>
> and stuff like that freeses

Hm...  Sorry to hear that.  I've had those same effects happen to me
sometimes, and I always wondered if there isn't a way to get out of the
predicament...  But I have not found any other way than reset, yet.

I don't remember when this happened exactly, but one surefire way I know to
trigger it is doing a 'df' when you've mounted an NFS share (without "intr")
and you lost connectivity to that share. Not only the process hangs, but any
attempt to subsequentially kill that process hangs, too. Wash, rinse...  :-(

My guess is, this is a kernel in severe state of panic. Maybe swap was on that
missing array(?), but a host of other reasons could've led to this too.

> I also tried killing prorgrams that might be in the danger sone of using
> the disk, killall -9 blahblah
> and it freeses :)

I now the feeling.  At this point, the only thing I can suggest is either try
to salvage things with SYSREQ keys [if enabled], or else run shutdown and by
the time that shutdown hangs too (since it probably will hang, in my
experience), press reset when disk activity (seems to-) have stopped.

But maybe more enlightened people here have better suggestions...?

Maarten

--
When I answered where I wanted to go today, they just hung up -- Unknown

-