Re: SATA raid options..

Daniel Kirkegaard Mouritsen wrote:
I own a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP motherboard, which has 4 serial-ata ports. Two
of which features RAID functionality.

The serial-ata controller on the motherboard is a Silicon Image 3112A (a
chip which i haven't been able to find much information about,
siimage.com doesn't even list it as a product).

I'll soon get a new sata disk(identical to my current disk), and I would
love to be able to do the following:

* keep using a 2.6.* kernel
* Use the RAID BIOS administration interface to stripe/administer the
disks
* Have both my grub, /boot / and a NTFS-windows partition reside on
striped set.

Is this at all possible? Can GRUB detect devices created with the
on-board BIOS assisted raid?

Another thing, I'm getting severely confused what I'm supposed to use as
a driver for the thing. ATM I found: udev+raiddetect or the
not-yet-released(or is it? maybe its just me who cant find it :]) dmraid
is the way to go. Does these both use the device-mapper tool? And can
anybody tell me if dmraid is 2 or 20 months aways?

dmraid will be required for use, and its 2-4 months away, I would guess.

Why not just use md raid?  BIOS RAID is _always_ crap.

	Jeff

-